People's Food Co-op of Kalamazoo is a consumer-owned cooperative grocery store, bringing a full array of natural products and healthful foods to the community at reasonable prices. Learn all about us, our history, and our governance.
The People's Food Co-op of Kalamazoo exists to create access to food that is healthy for people, land, and the economy. This statement is known as our “Global Ends” and helps to direct every decision we make. As such, we are more than your average grocer!
Here are a few things that make the Co-op different:
- We strive to provide fresh, organic, and whole foods, offering our community healthy choices for a variety of dietary needs.
- We purchase locally grown and produced goods, helping to keep local funds cycling back into our economy.
- We participate in and support our local farmers markets, including the 100 Mile Market, the Kalamazoo Farmers Market (on Bank St), and the Kalamazoo Foods Market.
- We help provide access to food assistance programs (SNAP benefits) both at the store and at several local farmers’ markets. Everyone should be able to eat healthy, delicious, and local food.
- We provide educational opportunities for our community related to food and food systems (such as cooking classes, tabling, speaking engagements, hosting events at the store and in the community).
- We work together with other organizations. As we are able, we provide sponsorships and donations to organizations and events that support our global ends, making our community a better place.
It takes a lot of great people to keep our Co-op going!
Front End Staff
- Lisa Bloomberg, cashier
- Annalisa Bradshaw, cashier
- Liz Hinz, cashier
- Carrie Meyer, lead cashier
- Erik Nabors, front end manager
- Anna Roeder, cashier
Grocery Staff and Buyers
- Merrilyn Akpapuna, grocery assistant
- Heather Colburn, meat and cheese buyer
- Hillary Effertz, grocery assistant
- Max Hospadaruk, grocery assistant
- Maureen McKenna, wellness buyer
- Ken Quayle, grocery and merchandising manager
- Brett Van Winkle, bulk and bakery buyer
- Sasha Battle, deli assistant
- Joba Bette, deli assistant
- Molly Aldrich, deli assistant
- Max Jensen, deli assistant
- Isaac Lowery, deli assistant
- Chris Orsolini, deli manager
- Dan Reihl, deli assistant
- Jon Sacha, deli assistant
- Elizabeth Sell-Kimble, deli assistant
- Cid Abel, produce manager
- Sara Kozminske, produce assistant
- Victoria Marcetti, produce assistant
- Daniel Neff, produce assistant
- Hristina Petrovska, produce assistant
Farmers Market Staff
- Chris Broadbent, farmers markets manager
- Gaby Gerken, farmers market assistant manager
- Jacob Pinney-Johnson, market coordinator
- Hannah Berc, HR coordinator
- Chris Dilley, general manager
- Megan Ireland, HR coordinator
- Kristi Montgomery, bookkeeping assistant
- Chris Moore, media and communications coordinator
Our Board is made up of volunteer directors. Please see our Board of Directors page for a list of the current board members, as well as related information such as board meeting summaries, meeting minutes, and upcoming elections.
As a community-owned grocery, we have made a conscious choice to involve our community in a great many ways, including encouraging volunteerism. At People's we depend on people like yourself to help make the organization stronger through volunteering both in the store and at special events. The PFC is incredibly grateful to all of you who lend a hand to keep our store running. Interested in being a volunteer? Why not help out?